Book Review | Yellowface | Obscurity to Overnight Success: But for How Long?

Bite-sized Review: Yellowface, picked up on my brother's recommendation, initially lingered untouched on my table. The narrative follows Athena and June, writers tethered by an unusual connection. As June gains success riding on her "best" friend's demise, the book explores themes of ownership and plagiarism. Despite a slower pace after 200 pages, it remains a riveting tale that unexpectedly jolts, leaving you intrigued. A compelling and engaging read.

Full Review: I picked up Yellowface on my brother's recommendations. Purchasing it on instinct during a shopping excursion with my childhood friend, the book rested on my table for several days, patiently awaiting attention. I somehow did not feel like picking it up. It has not been a great book year for me, and maybe I wasn't ready for another disappointment. But after about two weeks, I decided to finally open the book and start reading. A mere five pages in, it showed the hint of a promise and seemed remotely interesting. 

It is a story of two women Athena and June, existing in the space between acquaintanceship and friendship, merely due to a lack of other important people in their respective lives, yet holding subconscious significance to each other due to a scarcity of other influential individuals in their respective lives. They are both writers, Athena is a best-selling author while June is trying to navigate the periphery of obscurity. The book traces the story of our protagonist, June, achieving everything she ever dreamt of fame, success, money, clout, and all things nice on the back of her recently dead "best" friend. The book also raises the question of work product ownership and prompts you to contemplate at what juncture does something considered plagiarism.

The first 100 pages or so, also give us an insight into the publishing process, albeit at a high level, but something surely is better than nothing. Another thing is that throughout the book we do get to learn about the participation of the Chinese laborers in the world war - who knew that?

The book is quite fast-paced, at least the first 200 pages or so. It takes only a short amount of time to set the context and then just takes off. It becomes extremely engaging with each turn of the page. The author manages to engulf you in the story so well that when our protagonist is anxious due to cyberbullying, there is a knot in my stomach and I am anxious right there with her. There honestly was a moment when I was sitting in bed reading the book, and I felt like I was living it. I am the one going through everything and it took a minute for me to disassociate from the book. It is one of those books that pull you in and keep you engaged. 

It slows down a bit after this and you start to feel a semblance of comfort and even become cocky, thinking you know what is coming ahead. You may even stop reading every single word and then bam. The book will shake you with a jolt and you will be left wondering what just happened. I will leave you right here. 

Overall, it was legitimately a very interesting read. I honestly finished the book in two sittings. It was after a long time that a book had me glued. 

While I was halfway through the book, I had a few ideas of how the book should end for it to truly blow my mind. SPOILERS AHEAD. 

One conceivable conclusion I envisioned is a psychological thriller scenario where Athena Liu emerges as an alter ego of June Hayward, manifesting an internal conflict between her two distinct personalities.

Alternatively, my second hypothesis proposes that Athena Liu never truly perished. Despite the harrowing incident in the apartment where she choked, the responding paramedics displayed incompetence. Upon reaching the hospital, competent doctors successfully revived her. Subsequently, Athena devised a plan to lead a tranquil life until June decided to publish her work.

Comments

All time highs

Where are the "Friends" now?

The Blockchain of Trust

Old Manali - Alternate realities

Adieu!

Is ignorance really bliss?

India is Akbar Birbal and Tenali Rama: हमने कभी फर्क नहीं किया

An amazing course!

30 days of my Notice Period

Discovering Serenity: A Digital Detox in the Tranquil Embrace of Shimla

Rain! :)